One field or a new table?

Hey Guys,

I have been developing for a while and never found the best solution yet.
The question is lets say a game has 10 collectibles you can earn, to keep
track of the number of collectibles each user has, do you have one field in
the users table with all the numbers separated via a divider, or do you make
a new table called collectibles and have each one as a field?

These are high traffic sites (100,000+ people) and so I was initially
thinking the solution of creating a separate table is best because the main
users row is loaded on every page, and on top of that you would need to use
explode on the field.

Currently I am having a separate table, but I was wondering if people have
better solutions.

Hussein J.