php4 to php5

I suppose I am behind the time in migrating from php4 to 5. That said, my main problem is getting variables recognised. I can see how to do it - you need to identify all the variables that could be sent from the page and then assign a name, as in $myvar=$_GET['myvar'] and ditto for POST variables if any. Is there a function to convert all get and post variables to $_GET and $_POST, or is that a security concern? The further I have got is this:

function php5($var) {
   if(ISSET($_POST[$var])&&$_POST[$var]<>"") {
       $newvar=$_POST[$var];
   } else {
       $newvar=$_GET[$var];
   }
   return $newvar;
}

$input_variable=php5('input_variable');

however I would like to do this for all variable, I tried iterating through the $_GET and $_POST arrays but could not get it to work.

Anyway the main reason I am writing is:

- where the web page form uses the POST method, but there are parameters in the URL after the ? sign, these 'get' parameters seem to stay there when you submit the form from eg <input type=submit> button. So, let's say the script will add a line if addlines=y, if before you submit the form you have ?addline=y in the URL you will continue to add lines according to the script even though there is no hidden variable on the page called 'addline', because every time you submit the form with POST you have addline=y in the URL - if the script looks at GET variables then this will feed into the script. This does not seem to happen with php4 - if the page does not submit an 'addline' variable from a form field, it will not feed into the script. So what's the rationale for that (the URL submitting the variables) and what is the usual solution? The problem arises on this particular page because of a mix of buttons, some are javascript and send the addline=y with onClick.

John