UPPER(AES_DECRYPT(...)) bug?

Hi all.

Here's my disclaimer: this question is solely MySQL-related - I just happen to be programming in PHP.

I have found some functionality which *appears* to be a bug, but I didn't want to report it before asking some intelligent people. I have this simple query:

SELECT UPPER('just a lower case string') AS `UPPER_STRING`, UPPER(AES_DECRYPT(AES_ENCRYPT('Bob Frapples', '1234ABCD'), '1234ABCD')) AS `UPPER_NAME`;

Expected result:

UPPER_STRING              UPPER_NAME
------------------------  ------------
JUST A LOWER CASE STRING  BOB FRAPPLES

Real result:

UPPER_STRING              UPPER_NAME
JUST A LOWER CASE STRING  Bob Frapples

There is a similar bug report <http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=28072> that uses LCASE instead of UPPER. But, they have the same *lack of desired functionality*. MySQL people say it's not a bug due to how binary blah blah blah. Whatever - I don't buy that. It's not working *as it should*. On top of that, the docs for this encrypt stuff is quite minimal.

My questions to you: do you think this is a bug? And... is there an alternative to searching on fields that are encrypted using the LIKE operator?

Thanks,
~Philip

"Personally, most of my web applications do not have to factor 13.7 billion years of space drift in to the calculations, so PHP's rand function has been great for me..." ~S. Johnson