Re: Query Across DBMS Boundaries (Linked Database Servers?)

At 14:12 21/03/2008, you wrote:
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:05:22 -0500
From: "Dee Ayy" <dee.ayy@xxxxxxxxx>
To: php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Query Across DBMS Boundaries (Linked Database Servers?)

Wow!  I just found the Federated Storage Engine.
http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-federated-storage.html

It's not in our SHOW ENGINES though.

I still welcome comments.

You need MySQL MaxDB version (at least on windows), which is precompiled using --with-federated-storage-engine That article doesn't state it, and I think I had to stumble across this in the Federated engine discussion forum @ MySQL

It's a very useful storage type, particularly if you have a lot of records with recent records (eg last 1 month) online, and a bunch compressed or as ARCHIVE tables on a near-line storage server for your older data (eg older than 1 month)

HTH
Cheers - Neil