Re: Help with JOIN query

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Krister Karlström
<krister.karlstrom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi!
>

>  Graham Cossey wrote:
>
>  > TableA
>  > record_id
>  > product_ref
>  >
>  > TableB
>  > timestamp
>  > record_id
>  > action
>  >
>  > I want to create a SELECT that joins these 2 tables where the JOIN to
>  > TableB only returns the most recent entry by timestamp.
>
>  For instance, to select all columns:
>
>  select * from TableA
>  join TableB on TableA.record_id = TableB.record_id
>  order by timestamp desc
>  limit 1
>
>  So you just join everything, then order by time in descening order and
>  then just returning the first record = the newest record in the
>  database. If you don't want all columns, then simply replace the star
>  with the names of the columns you want.
>
>  I hope that this is what you wanted the query to do.. :)

I was hoping to avoid joining everything as there can be many entries
in TableB for each record in TableA.

Also wouldn't your query only return one record? I need to return all
records from TableA with the latest action from TableB as well.

Graham

--
Graham