Re: Insecure Hashes (was Re: Beginners Problem)

It's true md5 is very old but is not completely obsolete. Used in combination with a random salt is still hard to decode. Maybe i won't use it as encryption for passwords any more but I would use it for digital signature or data integrity check.

sublimino@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Whilst reviewing my penetration testing I have noticed that both the
md5 and sha1 hashing algorithms are now considered less secure than
previously thought. Migration to sha256 is encouraged:

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Cryptography#Algorithm_Selection

Then I found the comment below from:

http://uk3.php.net/manual/en/function.md5.php

http://md5.rednoize.com offers a service to reverse engineer md5
hashes. Very useful if you got a md5 hash and need the plain text
string of this md5 hash. The website has currently over 47 million
hashes stored. It also has support for SHA-1 hashes.

Consequently I shall be updating my authentication class.

Andy