RE: Re: [PHP] RE: the opposite of a join?

You can also do an outer join and look for NULLS in the key (which means
"no match"). In some cases it may be more efficient. <>< Ryan

-----Original Message-----
From: James Ausmus [mailto:james.ausmus@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 10:00 AM
To: jd.pillion@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:  Re: [PHP] RE: the opposite of a join?

On 10/3/07, jd.pillion@xxxxxxxxx <jd.pillion@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi J,
> >

> > Checkout this,
> >

> > SELECT * FROM tbl_company where id not in (SELECT companyID from
> > tbl_contacts)
> >

> Brilliant! This is exactly what I was looking for, and is quite
> logical/readable!  Thanks to everyone for the ideas!

No, don't do this! It is a very inefficient way to retrieve the
information you are looking for (Use a query analysis tool to check it
out yourself, if you want) - if your tables get to any larger size at
all, it will start having a noticeable performance impact on your script
(not to mention your DB) - let the DB do the hard work and use a LEFT
JOIN syntax, the database can optimize that much more efficiently. Only
if your DB doesn't support the LEFT JOIN syntax would you want to do the
above.

-James