mssql_connect not working from command line

I had cronjobs running fine on Linux which included a file which called mssql_connect.

Today when I run the cronjob script directly from the command line, I get:
PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined function mssql_connect() in /the/included/file.php on line #

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mssql_connect() in /the/included/file.php on line #

I also notice that the cronjob started failing 1 month ago.

The file is owned by the command line user and apache is in its group and vice versa.

However, a web page that includes the same file with the mssql_connect call still works fine, and now it makes sense that I see mssql is still enabled in phpinfo.

The admin says nothing changed.

Is there a setting that must have been changed to disallow this function from working on the command line?

I'm using PHP Version 5.1.6 and /etc/php.ini has changed 2 months ago and the cronjob worked since then.