Re: PHP + PostgreSQL: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"

Hi

Please configure your email client so we don't receive 5 copies of your
mail.

> I already did this and all encoding settings are right, but I figured out something more.
>
> 1) Using pg_query for fetching UTF8 data from database is working properly. Of course when I try to output it direclty then I get something like that as output "lacarrière" - but when I use utf8_decode() on the UTF8-bytes I get it the right way "lacarrière".

This indicates that PHP not using UTF-8.  That output is typical of
UTF-8 output as Latin characters.

> 2) I found another PHP application which is able to insert UTF8 data properly, phpPgAdmin, but it seems that it uses the ADODB-Layers for executing SQL-statements.
> Well, the fact that phpPgAdmin runs on the same machine handling properly UTF8 data means that my PHP is well configurated handling UTF8.

Not true, it only indicates that phpPgAdmin is is configured to handle
UTF-8 correctly.

> 3) When I add to my DB-Class utf8_encode() on the querystring I send to the database, it works properly, the insert is fine, so that's a temporary solution for my first problem.

> 4) When I get data from database I usually would have to do a utf8_decode on EVERY string which is fetched from database. So my solution is now, to handle all strings comming UTF8 from database as they are comming with UTF8-bytes, and really only then  when I need to decode them I decode them for further use.

Once again indicating your data needs to be converted from some other
character set.

I had similar problems getting PHP to work with UTF-8 and MySQL.  Many
of PHP's function are not multibyte aware and assume a Latin character set.

What, if any, output buffering are you using? What is your
default_charset set to?

--
Niel Archer