Re: record pointer

Thank you Niel
I am very close now have a look :

mysql> select id,cat from table where cat=(select cat from table where id=49);
+---------+------+
|      id | cat  |
+---------+------+
|      40 | FLK  |
|      41 | FLK  |
|      42 | FLK  |
|      44 | FLK  |
|      45 | FLK  |
|      46 | FLK  |
|      47 | FLK  |
|      48 | FLK  |
|      49 | FLK  |
|      50 | FLK  |
|      51 | FLK  |
|      52 | FLK  |
|      53 | FLK  |
|      54 | FLK  |
|      55 | FLK  |
|      56 | FLK  |
|      57 | FLK  |
|      58 | FLK  |
|      59 | FLK  |
|      60 | FLK  |
+---------+------+
20 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select id,cat from table where cat=(select cat from table where id=51);
+---------+------+
|      id | cat  |
+---------+------+
|      40 | FLK  |
|      41 | FLK  |
|      42 | FLK  |
|      44 | FLK  |
|      45 | FLK  |
|      46 | FLK  |
|      47 | FLK  |
|      48 | FLK  |
|      49 | FLK  |
|      50 | FLK  |
|      51 | FLK  |
|      52 | FLK  |
|      53 | FLK  |
|      54 | FLK  |
|      55 | FLK  |
|      56 | FLK  |
|      57 | FLK  |
|      58 | FLK  |
|      59 | FLK  |
|      60 | FLK  |
20 rows in set (0.02 sec)

now I can select the whole cat when I enter an ID that is fine! but the query should
stop at id=$id or in other words in the end it should POINT to id=$id
in the above example the last record would be the record with id=51
do I need another SELECT here?

Niel Archer <spamfree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 22:17:15 +0100