Are PHP & MySQL acceptable for the website I want to make

Hello, I am looking into making a website tha allows people to signup, and
post messages that will be inserted into the database. Basically, the site
will be a remembering service, like someone needs to remember a meeting at
5:30, they would type that into the form, and it would save it in table with
their name. And, they can save virtually anything. And I also want to make
it so that when it is almost time for their meeting, the system would send
an sms message too them to remind them. They could also store passwords, or
whatever else they wanted. This is really just the basis of my site. Please
tell me if PHP and MySQL would be good for this project, and what you people
think of the idea and all/

--
Thanks, the webmaster of Galacticwebdesigns.com