database password

Howdy all,

Just wondering what -- if anything -- people are doing to protect
plaintext database passwords in their PHP scripts. Ultimately, PHP needs
a plaintext password to create the database connection, so it seems that
obfuscation is the best we can achieve on this front. While not really
secure by itself, obfuscation along with other measures (firewall,
privilege separation, file system privileges, etc) can help slow someone
down. So I've been looking into this approach at the moment. Any other
ideas out there?

Thanks,
Roberto