recursion in php and mysql

Hello all,

I wrote an app in php and it uses recursion.

Problem I have is that when I connect to a database using
mysql_connect($dbhost, $username, $password); and select a table with
mysql_select_db($database) I cannot access the table anymore from some
function.

Now I can connect and select a database in that php function  but that
means that process happens A LOT and connecting and selecting everytime
probably slows down the app quite a bit

Is there a way to connect to a database and select a table "globally"
so that I have access to it in ever php function I write ?

thanks,

Ron