Re: random 'card number' generator

D.

Go to the manual at http://be2.php.net/manual/en/function.rand.php and look at the User contributed notes further down the page. You'll find a couple of solutions.

Whatever you do, you will presumably need to check the generated number against the db to see if it is already in use and, if not, generate a new random number.

Good luck,

Jeffrey

Desmond Coughlan wrote:

Hello,
I'm learning PhP and trying to write a library catalogue system, that uses a PostgreSQL back-end. My db looks like this ...
http://www.chez.com/desmondcoughlan/unix/bibliotheque.sql

I had originally planned to have a username in place of 'card_number', but realised that there was no point.  What I need now is the PhP code that will create a card number, and rather than having a sequence, I want a random three-digit number.  Can someone point me in the direction of where and how PhP can do this?

Thanks.

D.