RE: category management using MySQL and PHP

Hi,

I am not sure this is what you want or some else...

You can design the table like this so it will be faster to search.
And make the subcategory as linked to category. Means the foreign key.

+--------------------+------------------+------+-----+------------------
---+----------------+
| Field              | Type             | Null | Key | Default
| Extra          |
+--------------------+------------------+------+-----+------------------
---+----------------+
| categoryid         | int(11)          | NO   | PRI | NULL
| auto_increment |
| categoryname       | varchar(50)      | NO   | UNI | NULL
|                |

+-----------------+-------------+------+-----+---------------------+----
------------+
| Field           | Type        | Null | Key | Default             |
Extra          |
| subcategoryid   | int(11)     | NO   | PRI | NULL                |
auto_increment |
| categoryid      | int(11)     | NO   | MUL | NULL                |

| subcategoryname | varchar(50) | NO   |     | NULL                |

Then while search you can make a query with join and search the things
efficiently.

10x, | Ankur Dave | http://ullu.wordpress.com