Files uploaded through a form

The way my web hosting server was configured is that files uploaded
through a web form to be processed by PHP are owned by 'www'.  I am
wondering if I am able to change the owner of the file to my ftp user
name before I use the move_uploaded_file command to the directory I need
the file to move to.

I am also wondering what the IF syntax is to see if the file upload was
successful.  Somehow I would like to know if

move_uploaded_file( $userfile , $destination_file_name);

worked successfully before I update my table.

Ron