Unicode error with PostgreSQL

I'm getting the following error when PHP tries to insert a Unicode character
(the problem word is resume with the accents) into a PostgreSQL database:

pg_exec(): Query failed: ERROR:  Invalid UNICODE character sequence found
(0xe97375)

I can't figure out why I'm getting the error. The HTML form is utf-8 and the
database is UNICODE, but I'm still getting the error. Is there some problem
with the PHP library? Is there a PHP setting that controls character
encoding within scripts? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tony