postgresql, pg_pconnect issues, how to close connection properly

I have a pretty complex data base that runs a lot of aggreated
function (sum, count in addtion to joins)  constantly.  If I turn off
pg_pconnect, the connection takes too long, if I turn on the
pg_pconnect, the connection eventually max out.

My current solution is to have cron job to restart apache gracefull
every minute.

apachectl graceful

I don't like this solution.  Is there a way to reset the connections
every so often?