Re: Distinct Partial Matches: RegExp

Select DISTINCT area from table like '$searchterms%';

In SQL, you can use the 'LIKE' keyword along with the '%' and '_' wildcards.. '_' is one character, '%' is any number of chars.

-Micah

Kevin Murphy wrote:
This might be really easy, but I'm just not sure how to write this query and my searching on google isn't finding me things, probably because I am searching for the wrong terms.

I have a bunch of records where the "area" column is like:

animal-dog-5
animal-dog-3
animal-cat-1
animal-cat-22
animal-bird-5

What I want to do is run a distinct query on just the part previous to the number.

animal-dog
animal-cat
animal-bird

So in other words, something like this, but I am not sure if this is the right way to go:

$query = "SELECT DISTINCT area FROM table WHERE REGEXP 'anynumberofletters dash anynumberofletters dash '"

Of course, I could be barking up the wrong tree with the REGEXP thing. Anyone care to point me in the right direction?

--Kevin Murphy
Webmaster: Information and Marketing Services
Western Nevada Community College
www.wncc.edu
775-445-3326