From: Andrew Kreps [mailto:andrew.kreps@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 7:15 PM
To: Skip Evans
Cc: Php-Db
Subject: Re:  Submitting form from <a href

Skip,

Just so you know, there is a general PHP user's list available for just
such
a request.  It's rather high-traffic, so be warned.

Now then, on to the problem.  I believe I've figured out a way to make
this
happen.  I've only tested it on IE 6 and Firefox 1.5.0.4, so your browser
compatibility may vary.  I'll just post the scripts I used to test it here
and you can take what you need and run with it.

Here is the script that my form is built in:

----------

        <head>
                <script language="Javascript">
                        function submitForm (letter)
                        {
                                document.search.letter.value =
letter;    //
Here's where we're
setting the form value 'letter' to the letter the user clicked on.
                                document.search.submit();   // Then,
submit
the form.
                        }
                </script>
        </head>
                <form name="search" method="POST"
action="testingLinkSubmit.php">
                        <input type="hidden" name="letter" value="">  <!--
If this isn't here, the Javascript letter.value code won't work, since
form.letter doesn't exist.  -->
                        <input type="checkbox" name="checky"/> Search all
campuses

                        <?
                                for ($i = 65;  $i <= 90;  $i++)
                                {
                                        $letter = chr($i);
                                        print "<a
href=\"javascript:submitForm('$letter')\">$letter</a> ";
                                }
                        ?>
                </form>

-------------

The receiving end of the form looks much as you might expect, it just
parses
the form values:

--------------

<?
if (isset($_POST["checky"]))
{
        print "Checkbox value is: True<br>\n";
}
else
{
        print "Checkbox value is: False<br>\n"; }

print "Letter: " . $_POST["letter"];
?>

And there you go!  Let me know if you have any problems.