Re: Conditional updating...

Why don't you try populating the fields the user intends to modify
with the information you already have?

Alex T

On 6/17/06, Grae Wolfe - PHP <php@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Good day!
  I have been working on this little "free" project for a while, and now I
have hit another major hiccup.  Is there a simple way to only update fields
that have something in them?
  The problem that I am having is that if someone fills out information and
submits it, it saves to the DB just fine.  However, if they come back later
and just put in, for example, a new phone number, it replaces all of the
other information with blanks.
  Here is my current $sql query:

$sql = "UPDATE $table
SET
first_name='$first_name',
last_name='$last_name',
hs_last_name='$hs_last_name',
guest_name='$guest_name',
street_address1='$street_address1',
street_address2='$street_address2',
city='$city',
state='$state',
zip='$zip',
phone1='$phone1',
phone2='$phone2',
email_address='$email_address',
farmers_barn='$farmers_barn',
wrhs_tour='$wrhs_tour',
crystal_rose='$crystal_rose',
registration_comments='$registration_comments',
date_registered='$today'
WHERE first_name='$first_name' AND last_name='$last_name'";