Re: Combining Fields

Grae Wolfe - PHP wrote:

Thank you Brad - That is what I was looking for, but now that I see how it behaves, I am thinking that it isn't going to work the way I wanted. I need to then be able to pass the "ID" back to MySQL so that it will retrieve just the one record for editing.

I guess I need to go back to making the DB create an auto-incrementing ID number. Hmmm...

Thanks!!

Well, the unique ID would probably be the *best* way to go, but you could also get the record with the below solution, of course this requires every combination of first and last name is unique...
if you do:
$id = "Smith,Adam"
Then:
list($fname, $lname) = explode(",",$id);
select * from table where first_name = '$fname' and last_name='$lname'
would do the trick...
Of course this has many "what-ifs" asociated with it...all of which would be taken care of with an auto-incrementing/primary key ID field for wach record ;-)

-Brad