From: Chris [mailto:dmagick@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 3:23 AM
To: eustace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  multi-table insert

Eustace wrote:
> Hello everybody!
> I am very much a newbie in PHP, but enjoying the learning process.
> Here and there I get tangled in the logic of certain problems. Anyway,
> I have a database about interns and this database has multi-tables
> told data of interns, for example personal information, education
> qualifications, computer skills, languages etc. The relationship of
> the tables is based on the intern's username.
> What I am trying to do is have a form, which an intern can fill in so
> that details are inserted into the database. Since I am populating a
> number of tables in one go, what's the best way to implement this? The
> main table is the personal information one, which has the username as
> primary key, and the rest of the tables username is the foreign key.
> Obviously I need the to pick the username from the main table and
> insert it into the other tables. How best can I do this?

No databases will do this automatically for you (whether you use mysql,
sqlite, postgresql or something else), so you need to create multiple
queries:

mysql example:

$query = "insert into users(username) values ('my_username')";
mysql_query($query); $userid = mysql_insert_id();

$query = "insert into table2(userid) values('$userid')"; ....

postgres example:

$query = "select nextval('user_sequence') AS nextid"; $result =
pg_query($query); $row = pg_fetch_assoc($result); $userid = $row['nextid'];

$query = "insert into table2(userid) values('$userid')"; ....

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/