Re: Newly inserted record ID

Skip Evans wrote:
I am very new to the list, but I get the impression that Jonathan below is rather new to programming in PHP/MySQL and lists like these are great resources for people without the many years of experience some of us have.

And while mysql_insert_id() is old hat to most of us, to people with less experience it is not so obvious.

While I agree that we should be here to help people who are new to this topic I find people who ask very basic questions (which this was, a quick look at the mysql docs on php.net would have answered this) without making any effort at all to find the right answer really annoy me.

In my experience putting in that bit of effort pays greater dividends than having all the answers served up piecemeal on a silver platter by people on mailing lists. That way you'll never learn.

So I'm always dissapointed to see more experienced programmers say things like Stut has said below because they tend to intimiate inexperienced coders, make them shy away from asking questions out of fear that gurus like Stut will say the kinds of things he has said below.

For this reason I'm going to unsubscribe from the list, lest I ask a question and get similar treatment.

I find that to be a very strange way of looking at the situation. If you don't agree with me and feel that people that don't make any kind of effort should get the answers handed to them, the logical thing to do is to stay on the list and do the handing out. These resources are what the participants make of them - nobody is paid to help out here.

Jonathan, if you have any other questions you feel might get you jumped on again for asking please feel free to email me directly.

Which defeats the object of these lists since the answers will not be available to others who search the archives. And before you say an RTFM answer is no better, at least if someone looking lands on a pointer to the manual they will know where to look next, and by searching for the answer they have put some effort into finding the answer.

And Stut, please please please please please consider other peoples' feelings before you go shooting off your "freaking" mouth.

If what I said hurt someones feelings then I apologise, but I hope my above explanation gives acceptable reasons for my attitude to questions like this.

Jonathan probably is reading the manual, but may missed the small section on mysql_insert_id(). And for that he doesn't deserve your scron.

I saw no mention of this manual reading in the original post, which does not necessarily mean it's not happening, but this particular problem would easily be found by also searching the archives of this list.

Flame away.

-Stut