RE: MD5, MySQL, and salts

you need the key to be easily available, so row id or a set date field(one that does not change as opposed to a timestamp type field)

bastien

From: "Sean Mumford" <smumford@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  MD5, MySQL, and salts
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:33:58 -0400

Hi Guys,
I'm working on securing user passwords in a MySQL 4 database with a PHP5
frontend. I remember being told in one of my classes (I'm currently a
college junior) that the best way would be to hash a salt and the password
together and then store the hash in the database instead of the plain MD5
hash. My question is, what is a good method for the server and the database
to agree on a salt value to use? I know i could use a predefined variable,
but I was wondering if something dynamic might be better (timestamp, current
date, something like that). Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
-Sean