Question regarding the scope of pg_prepare

I have a few different pg_prepare statements in my PHP script.  I was
wondering what scope they lie in.  Im assuming they are not saved in the
PSQL database, so it is just for the script?  They are inside of
functions... does it only last until the function exists?  I just dont
want to keep on calling it if I don't have to.  Or do I need to call it
each time the function is called.

Trying to do some proper coding :)

Thanks
  Will