Re: if() and else() help needed

Hi,

  Yes the user is logged in.  The system knows who is tipping by their nickname and unique id system.

  So if I put the update query in the else statement would this be the easy fix?

  I use something like a field called tipped in the table, so if they have tipped it goes to y and if never tipped it's blank.  I think it should show that in the query. Cant remember, I did the scripts 2 or 3 years ago.  Just want to tidy it up.

Chris <dmagick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  JeRRy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'll admit it, this is damned messy. But I want to learn from the list in how to sort it out. Than for future refrence I will know...
>
> Now I am running 2 different queries/statements here completely seperate. I have made the "nickname" field in the database UNIQUE. So than when I have this sort of query setup no matter what their will only be one "nickname" entry for that user. So when people update their profile a new "nickname" is not inserted but it is updated. But I want it all in one PHP call. How do I do this?

How are you differentiating between the statements?

eg they are logged in, or you check with a database query or .... ?

You could do something like this:

// check for $_GET['tipid'] - if it's there, we're updating our tips.
// if it's not, then we're adding new tips.
if (isset($_GET['tipid'])) {
$query = "UPDATE " ......
$success_message = "Your tips have been updated";
} else {
$query = "INSERT INTO " .....
$success_message = "Your tips have been saved";
}

$result = mysql_query($query);
if ($result) {
echo $success_message;