spell checking and "did you mean?"

Hi All

I am looking to check whether a keyword a user has entered already
exists in the database

I can find exact matches, but I am having trouble with typos.

I am looking for something like Google's "did you mean" if you type in
a close match.

SO if someone types in saet it returns "did you mean  seat ?"

Any suggestions which is best - SOUNDEX in MySql or  the php functions
 levenshtein(), soundex(),metaphone() or similar_text() on the
returned result.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Peter