Can't Replace File on the Server

I sent an update to a php script to the server but the page in the browser didn't change. Viewing the file on the server shows the new script. I changed the file name on the hard drive and sent it to the server and the browser didn't find the newly-named file, though I see that the newly-named file is on the server. When I open the updated script on the hard drive, the page starts with \n"; echo " That same coding appears after the first and second lines, more extensive code appears after the first paragraph, and in place of the table is a series of \n"; down the left column.

Any ideas what's wrong?

Ken