Remove newlines from field

I am using a PHP script to pull information from a FoxPro database via ODBC.
One of the fields is a memo field (large text) that contains newline
characters. Displaying this info to the web page is fine as the newlines are
ignored. The challenge is when I combine user entered text with the existing
info and try to update the database. It fails with an "unrecognized command"
because the end of field delimiter is on a different line. We're running on
PHP 4.2.7 and I have tried using various combinations of str_replace to
eliminate the newline characters, but I have been unsuccessful. Any
suggestions?

Giff

Giff Hammar
IT Director