handle a serial communication with COM1, in PHP,

Hi,

I am new on list, and I intend to manage a serial communication with a
cash register trought COM1.

Everything works fine, only after I set manually an open connection to
COM1 with an Windows32 dedicated apps. I want to eliminate this
proceeding to manage this communication by main php application.

I want to find any resources (man, docs) to help myself to do this. I
look for PHP functions (or applications) to manage the connection with
this device.

Thank you in advance.

A programmer.