Installing PEAR

I know this may be a bit off-topic, but I would like to use the PEAR library
to implement some of my database functions. Unfortunately, the PEAR
documentation is woefully incomplete and as a result i've been unable to
install it properly. Here's the procedure i went through:

PHP Version: 5.1.2
Apache Version: 2.0.55
MySQL Version: 5.0.18
Windows XP Pro

1. launch the go-pear batch file
2. select system-wide installation
3. use default install directories: (Seems fine to me since PHP is installed
into C:\PHP)
Installation Base ($prefix)             C:\PHP
Binaries Directory                        C:\PHP
PHP code Directory ($php_dir)      C:\PHP\pear
Documentation Directory              C:\PHP\pear\docs
Data Directory                             C:\PHP\pear\data
Tests Directory                            C:\PHP\pear\tests
Name of Configuration File            C:\WINDOWS\pear.ini
Path to CLI php.exe                     C:\PHP\.

4. The batch file tells me pear is installed
5. I add the environment variable via the PEAR_ENV.reg file
6. add the line "require db.php" and load to this message:
Warning: require(DB.php) [function.require
<http://localhost/function.require> ]: failed to open stream: No such file
or directory in C:\wwwroot\phpinfo.php on line 2
Fatal error: require() [function.require <http://localhost/function.require>
]: Failed opening required 'DB.php' (include_path='.;C:\PHP\pear') in
C:\wwwroot\phpinfo.php on line 2
7. Figure DB might not be installed by default, so follow the website's
instructions by attempting to call it from the command line:
pear install db = not recognized as internal or external command, bla bla
bla
c:\php\pear install db = see above
c:\php\pear\pear install db = see above
8. get annoyed, go back to phpinfo file, remove erroneous line and look for
references to PEAR, come up with the following (only) line:
  include_path                    	.;C:\PHP\pear	.;
C:\PHP\pear
9. Go crazy, hit cute, fuzzy animals.

I apolagize for the length of my e-mail, but I know that being thorough
helps most of the time. Does anyone have any advice or ideas?