Re: Re: Storing Credit Cards, Passwords, Securely, two-way encryption

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Dan Baker wrote:

"Peter Beckman" <beckman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
So I'm thinking about how to save credit card numbers in the DB, for
re-charging cards for subscriptions, new orders, etc.

I'm also thinking about how to save passwords in the DB, not plaintext,
but
not one-way encrypted either.

Any suggestions?  How would I secure the database?  I'm thinking some
abstract process in code, or something -- security through obscurity.

 What, exactly, does VeriSign do, that makes you so sure that they have
 secured the credit card information any better than I could, using a
 well-thought-out system?  Do you even know?  You just hear "VeriSign" and
 believe they have smart people that have more resources available to them
 to do a better job securing the data?

 Maybe this makes sense if you are doing a few hundred or a few thousand
 dollars of business a month, but if you are planning on doing $5,000 to
 $10,000 a day, it is a lot of added expense to have someone else do it,
 when I could have it done internally.  It is the how.

 Please, no more replies saying don't do it.

Beckman