Re: retaining and displaying line returns in a text field

This is an HTML issue (not PHP or MySQL) that is HTML ignores carriage returns (and most other white spaces).

There are two simple solutions:

use <pre> tags:

  echo " <pre> $rmks</pre>";

Or replace the \n with "<br>"

  $newRmks = str_replace ( "\n", "<br>", $rmks );
  echo $newRmks;

You can do this going into or coming out of the database but remember to be consistent. And you can do more with paragraphs and changing tabs and other special characters - there are probably some libraries that will all this and much more (including some WISIWYG editors that you can put on your web page) depending on how deep you want to get.

Good Luck,
Frank