To: <beckman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2006 12:36 PM
Subject: RE: Storing Credit Cards, Passwords, Securely, two-way encryption

CC saving is a bad idea on a web facing server...much better to let the user re-input the data each time. If your network allows it, store the data encrypted (using php's mcrypt/decrypt extension) on an separate extremely limited access, non-webfacing (ie internal) db/server that only allows inserts from the webfacing server. Hacking and the liability of being hacked is something to take very seriously. Also look into PCI & regulatory compliance with regard to storing CC data on a server to be aware of any laws that can govern how you do this.

Passwords: again use mcrypt

Bastien