php mail and accentuated characters

Hello

I would like to send email from my php program. So I use the mail() function
from php engine but I noticed that the  accentuated characters were not well
transmitted by php or the apache server (I use a linux box with FC4 and httpd
server).

In the phpinfo function, I saw the LANG environnement variable was set to
en_US...., so I fixed it to fr_FR.... in the system file /etc/sysconfig/18n
and reboot the machine, phpinfo gave me the correct french LANG. The result
is still the same

the apache server gave me incorrect languages in server-info, so I corrected
the DefautLanguage directive and Priority Languages directives in the httpd.conf
file. Restart apache and server-info gave me correct information, but the
result is still the same.

I am in trouble, because the mutt linux program send well the  accentuated
characters. I studied the difference between two mails, from mute and from
php, and apparently the order definition after the Date aren't the same.

I tried to use the phpmailer class, but the problem persists. I use php 4.3.10

The workaround I found is to use the mutt command from php by the system
function, but it is a pity !

Do you know this problem ?

thanks for your reply and happy new year to you !

Cheers

Jean-Philippe BATTU
Grenoble
http://jeanpba.homeip.net