Re: SQL Server - do I need PHP to run COMMIT?

Yes, the transaction logs are being backed up and shrunk regularly. I am told while they are 400MB most of that is "empty space" and it's really about 50MB in size. Apparently that is still a bit too big and indicates a possible problem.

I'm glad all transactions are auto-commited. I presumed that was the case because we have 5 users all using this system at the same time and we have had no apparent problems with data being "saved" but not actually being stored in the database. Everything actually seems to be working fine apart from the remarkably large transaction file.

Any ideas why the transaction log file would be so big?

Robert Twitty wrote:
Using COMMIT is only required if you issued a BEGIN TRANS before your
INSERTs, UPDATEs and / or DELETEs. All transactions are automatically
committed if you don't use BEGIN TRANS.  Are you backing up the
transaction logs regularly?

-- bob