Re: connect vs pconnect

Based on my understanding of pconnect, it is a poor man's implementation
of connection pooling.  Connection pooling requires a mediator server
between the client and database in order to maintain a connection for
reuse by another client. PHP does not provide such a server, so it uses
the web server as the mediator.  When you call pconnect, the connection
resource will be retained within the web server's process space. Thus, the
connection will live as long as the web server lives.

-- bob