Re: Drag and Drop with PHP and MySQL

No. That would be nice though eh?

What I have done in the past is when a user needs to upload a file, I give
them a linked button that links to a ftp:// style address. This ftp account
points to a directory that PHP can have access to.

The user then drags and drops (IE only) the files on this new window, which
uploads the files to this directory.

Once they're done, they close the window, and hit a second button 'Click here
when finished uploading' which tells php to grab all the files in the upload
directory and put them where they need to go.

This is far from ideal, causes miserable problems when more than one person is
using the technique at once, and offers a host of security and usability
issues. Oh, and it's IE only, Firefox can't do this, and I don't think
opera/safari can either.

However, it's much better than uploading a ton of files individually using a
form. I only use this for applications where I can be sure that only one user
will use it at once, and they're trusted.

In a pinch it works though. I don't care so much about drag and drop, I was
just trying to solve the multi-file upload issue. I wish there was a better
way.

If I'm stupid and there is, I'd love to hear about it.

-Micah