RE: mssql_query returns a boolean false instead an empty recordset whenthe query doesn't match any record

According to the php docs, the mssql call should return 'TRUE' on empty recordset. Are you sure there is no problem with the query?

Bastien

From: "Pablo F. Díaz Anzalone"<pablo.anzalone@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: php-db@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: mssql_query returns a boolean false instead an empty recordset whenthe query doesn't match any record
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:54:51 +0100

Hi all,

Maybe I didn't explain myself quite wel, so I wil repeat the queestion in other words.

I would like to know which is the correct answer I should obtain from mssql_query. I have a server in which mssql_query is returning a false boolean when it should return an empty recordset (as is doing in the other server).

In other words, the question is why I have a server in which mssql_query returns empty recordsets when the query doesn't match any record and I have installed a new one in which instead of an empty recordset I get a boolean valued to false.

Which one is ok and what can be the problem with the other.

I know I can test in each query if result is false or a resource but I have more than a hundred queries and I would like to have the knew server with the same behavour as the previous one, which it is also how I think that it should work.

I'm sorry for the repetition of the topic, but I'm very interested in having a better solution than putting if's in each query.

Thank you.

Pablo

<< smime.p7s >>