MySQL to XML used by JavaScript?

Hi,

I'm new to PHP and am wondering how I might be able to use MySQL with
JavaScript. I was thinking that I could use PHP to convert a query from a
database into a XML file, and then use JavaScript to access the results from

the XML file.

The only thing is that I'm not sure how fast PHP is on a server and whether
this is a realistic in terms of having a short delay between user query and
the final output.

Thanks for your help in advance, it is much appreciated.

best,
David