Trouble with conections between php and postgre

Hi !, first of all: sorry about my english, i'm not from us.
I 'm using latest versions of postgre 7.4 with php4 and apache2, on a debian
system. I'm working with a really big database, so there are many querys
that takes too much time to be executed that blocks the php page that's
being loaded. The problem is that usually, one excepcts to stop the query or
even close the conection if the stupid user stops the explorer or closes it.
However, this isn't hapening, the query keeps running in the database, using
resources.
I already try uselessly ignore_user_abort(False), and I don't want to set a
time limit.
¿Any ideas? ¿Am I missing something ?
Thnxs !
(Please, try avoid msg. like "Get more resources", "Optimize your querys",
"/etc/init/postgresql restart", etc.)