Connecting to two MySQL databases

Hi all,

I am working on an application that requires me to connect to two MySQL databases both hosted on the same server.

I have an existing set of class files I created to handle the db connection to the main database. To connect to the second database, I duplicated my db class files and renamed them, and also renamed the functions etc. but what is happening, is that the calls made to the second database connection seem to get made against the first database. So that I get errors like: dbname.tablename was not found (or something like that).

What is the best practice for this? I need to have two open db connections for just two little things in my application.

My class files are one makes the connection and the other calls the various get and set functions to the db.

Here is what I have for the dbconnect.php class:

class dbconn {
  // database setup.  These should be changed accordingly.
  var $dbpath = "localhost";
  var $dbname = "mydb";
  var $dblogin = "test";
  var $dbpass = "test";

  function dbconn() {
$link = mysql_connect($this->dbpath, $this->dblogin, $this- >dbpass) or die ('Not Connected: ' . mysql_error()); mysql_select_db($this->dbname, $link) or die ('Can\'t use this database: ' . mysql_error());

  }

  function retrieveData( $sql ) {
$rs = mysql_query( $sql ) or die("Invalid query: " . mysql_error ());
    // if no result, return null
    if (($rs == null) || (mysql_num_rows($rs) == 0)) {
      return null;
    } else {
      return ( $rs );
    }
  }

  function insertData( $sql ) {
    mysql_query( $sql );
    // return new complaint id if insert is successful
    if ( mysql_affected_rows() > 0 ) {
      return ( mysql_insert_id() );
    } else {
      return null;
    }
  }

  function updateData( $sql ) {
    $rs = mysql_query( $sql );
    if (mysql_affected_rows() > 0) {
      return ( $rs );
    } else {
      return null;  // no changes were made
    }
  }
}

I posted this to the php-general list the other day, but never got it working right with the suggestions. Sorry if this is a repeat for anyone.

- Charles

--
RightCode, Inc.
900 Briggs Road #130