mysql_fix_privilege_tables error

Hi Guys, I am a newbie and having a lot of trouble with PHP/MySQL lately... We have a number of PHP/MYSQL solutions developed on our server and I have the pleasure to maintain them...

The copy of MySQL 3.23 has started crashing and refusing to start, so what I did was I backed up all the DBs and then reinstalled version 4, things seems to be working ok.

Then I discovered this:
http://www.educ.sfu.ca/phpbb2/

and in phpmyadmin I get this message:
"Warning: Your privilege table structure seem to be older than this MySQL version! Please run the script mysql_fix_privilege_tables that should be included in your MySQL server distribution to solve this problem!"

So I tried to do the following...

$ sudo -s
$ mysql_fix_privilege_tables mypassword

And this is the errors I got:

This scripts updates the mysql.user, mysql.db, mysql.host and the
mysql.func table to MySQL 3.22.14 and above.

This is needed if you want to use the new GRANT functions,
CREATE AGGREAGATE FUNCTION or want to use the more secure passwords in 3.23

If you get Access denied errors, you should run this script again
and give the MySQL root user password as a argument!

If your tables are already up to date or partially up to date you will
get some warnings about 'Duplicated column name'. You can safely ignore these! ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)

Creating Grant Alter and Index privileges if they don't exists
You can ignore any Duplicate column errors
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)

Creating the new table and column privilege tables
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)
Changing name of columns_priv.Type -> columns_priv.Column_priv
You can ignore any errors from this
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)
Fixing the func table
You can ignore any Duplicate column errors
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)

Any suggestion? I have checked the permission table using phpmyadmin and grant=Yes for "root".

Anything else I need to do differently?

Regards,
Cars