begginer question

Hi everyone
I just need something that I believe is very simple only I can't find an
answer for it anywhere

I have a database that each row has a machine, its serial, the customer and
other details. The problem is that I have customers with more than one
machine and I need to query for all the rows, but I don't want the rows that
contain duplicate customers.
The problem is that the only way for me to know the right row from let's say
3 rows that contain the same customer name is the serial number which needs
to be the higher.

So all I need a query to do that.

Thanks in advanced
Ziv