RE: Help with

Thanks for your help Bastien.

I have changed the authentication procedure but have come up against another
problem.
This time I am allowing the users to choose their unique usernames and
passwords which
will be stored in a mysql database. However when I check to see if their
details exist
in the databse I get:

Warning: mysqli_query() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, resource given in
login.php

any help would be appreciated.

Here is the code:

$username=$_POST['l_username'];
$password=$_POST['l_password'];

// connect to mysql
$dbcon = mysql_connect( 'localhost', 'root', 'password', 'database_name' );
if (!$dbcon) {
	echo 'Cannot connect to the database.';
	exit;
}

// query the database to see if there is a matching username and password
$query = "select count(*) from users where username = '$username' and
password = '$password'";

$result = mysqli_query($dbcon, $query);
if (!$result) {
	echo 'Sorry can't run query';
	exit;
}
$row = mysqli_fetch_row($result);
$count = $row[0];

if ($count > 0) {
	echo 'You have successfully logged on.';
}
else {
	echo "Your username and/or password have not been accepted. Please <a
href='javascript:history.back();'>go back</a> and try again.";
}

Thanks

Richard