Search engine results

I have wrote a basic search engine PHP script.  I have created a mySQL
database of the files which are allowed to be searched (Example:
directory/file_name.html) When someone enters search criteria the mySQL
database is opened and the various web site files are loaded one at a time,
dumped into a variable and then using the eregi command check to see if
there is a match.  If there is it displays the web page title.

I wanted to add some text from the file now.  I wanted to add like 150
characters before the search string and about 250 characters after the
search string.  Is anyone able to help me with this?  I wanted to strip out
HTML so only plain text is shown.  I essentially want to add a block of text
like this paragraph under the web page title results which are currently
displayed.

Ron