Payment Gateways

Hi all,
I am working on a project that I haven't came across before and I would appreciate all the help I can get with it. Our client is requesting a payment gateway system where we communicate with the bank and provide reports and stats about the transactions. The reports part is relatively familiar but the communications with the bank is what is puzzeling me. I know the bank is providing an API but I need a similar code to work with. If anyone can provide me with a similar project which I can change to our specs or tell me how to start I would be extremely greatful.
Thanks