Searchable/Sortable Database Fields with MySQL/PHP

Greetings,
I need to securely store lots of sensitive contact information and
notes in a (MySQL or other freely available) database that will be
stored on a database server which I do not have direct access to.
This database will be accessed by a PHP application that I am
developing.  However, I also need to be able to search/sort these data
with the database functions (SELECT, ORDER BY, etc) so simple PASSWORD
style encryption of specific fields would not work.  (For example, I
need to encrypt
contacts' names, but need to be able to sort results by name). (I
realize I could load the entire table into memory with PHP and
process/search/sort it there, but
that's obviously not a very good solution).  Ideally I would like to
encrypt entire tables.  An encrypted file system is not really an
option, because the goal is to prevent loss if the database server is
hacked (in addition, I wouldn't be able to install an encrypted file
system on the database server).

My sense is that this is a difficult problem.  However, I made the
mistake of promising this functionality,
so I'm scrambling to figure out some kind of solution.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Matt