Re: RE: php-db Digest 20 Jun 2005 23:54:37 -0000 Issue 2992. .

Cosman CUSCHIERI wrote:
I make part of a team where we have created a system which produces reports.
The reports are produced based on selection criteria which the user sets
from an oracle database.
The problem we are facing is that when the users selects a big time frame
the report just freezes, the status bar displays 'done' the IE (our
preferred browser) window flag stops animating and report does not show
anything, only a blank page. I am suspecting a time out somewhere. I am
using the function set_time_limit and some of the reports did improve but
still facing the problem with others.

[snip]

Make sure php is logging its errors somewhere, and check your apache error logs. This seems very much like the behavior I've seen when a script hits the maximum memory allowed. It's possible the first bottleneck was the processing, and the second is the memory needed.

Of course, it's possible it's something else entirely - but something should be logged when the pages bail out like that.

cheers,
--
- Martin Norland, Sys Admin / Database / Web Developer, International Outreach x3257 The opinion(s) contained within this email do not necessarily represent those of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.